Saturday 21 December 2013

 My Autumn in Scotland
Pic: Paul Wright
So it’s been quite a while since I’ve updated my blog, anyway, I’m doing it now.
As I write this, I’m in the departure lounge of Edinburgh airport, ready to fly home for a couple of weeks. Of course, it’ll be good to catch up with my family and everything, but I can’t help noticing that the forecast is for awesome wind and waves, and I’m gagging to get out in some proper wave conditions again!

I’ve been windsurfing a bit, and fife is a pretty windy place, but also a pretty flat place, so to get proper waves you have to be prepared to drive a fair distance. Actually I’ve been content to save money, stay local and play in 1-2 ft onshore mush, the result: shuvits and Starboard tack forward loops, yay!

My raceboard kit has been feeling a bit lonely in Cornwall without me I think, but I plan to become re-acquainted with it, and also make the Tushingham XR-Race tuning video that I’ve been thinking of doing since the worlds.

So what have I been doing other than bump n jump/mush shredding? Well… working, studying and mountaineering: the joys of having an industrial placement in St Andrews.

So with weekdays spent in the lab and dark evenings spent doing my distance learning, free time is the weekends. It’s been great to get involved with the university mountaineering club here, and I’ve really enjoyed getting to see the varied landscape and weather of the highlands. The short daylight hours get to be a bit of a pain, but as long as you don’t mind part of the decent with a torch, you can get rewarded with amazing views, quite possibly not at the top (in the clouds), but at least halfway up. Also, the lack of daylight does mean that what light there is during the day is pretty nice to look at, it is effectively evening all day! Check out some photos below: the crappy fuzzy ones are taken on my phone, the nice ones taken by my friend Martin!

Anyway, stay tuned for:
1.       More blog updates from my time in Cornwall, where a Starboard Kode 72 and some Tushingham Rocks wait for me.
2.       A tuning video to help you get the best out of the super adjustable race winning Tushingham XR-race 9.5.
3.       An updated website


Cheers, have a good Christmas!




1 comment: